Global warming? Scientists at NASA & elsewhere fear a new little ice age

Solar activity is at a minimum and some scientists are concerned. The “sun has gone into lockdown, which could cause freezing weather, earthquakes and famine, scientists say.”

Are we about to enter an ice age?

“Solar minimum is underway and it’s a deep one,” says astronomer Tony Phillips.

“Sunspot counts suggest it is one of the deepest of the past century. The sun’s magnetic field has become weak, allowing extra cosmic rays into the solar system.”

During the Dalton Minimum, temperatures plummeted by up to 2 degrees Celsius, that is 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit, for 20 years, devastating food production around the world.

The weather in 1816 earned the year two popular nicknames: the “Year Without a Summer” and “Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death.” Snow fell in July.

So far, the year 2020 has witnessed a sun with no sunspots 76 percent of the time, a rate surpassed only once before in the Space Age. That was last year, when sunspot activity was at 23 percent. There were no sunspots the other 77 percent of the time.

ajh

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s